Annual Giving Program Initiatives
Taipei American School relies on gifts to the Annual Giving Program to fund initiatives for our students that would otherwise not be possible. Your gift can be designated toward one or a combination of five different initiatives. The initiatives are Program Excellence, Professional Excellence, Building Excellence, Endowment, and the Hope N.F. Phillips Scholarship Fund.
Gifts to Program Excellence are reflected in the achievements of our students, the development of programs, and the expansion of unique learning opportunities school-wide. You can see excellence in action through programs everywhere on campus - in the classrooms, laboratories, performance spaces, and sports facilities. Your support enables us to capitalize on the excellent education we offer and to carry the school to even greater heights. Last school year, gifts to Program Excellence supported:
- Robotics, Scientific Research, and Artificial Intelligence programs with a Wind and Solar Hybrid Power Generation System, a water jet cutter, a Baxter Research Robot, and more;
- The Fine and Performing Arts Programs with internships, equipment, and a Lutum Max-XL 3D Printer;
- Joanna Nichols Visiting Scholar Dr. Michael Littman, Professor of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering at Princeton University and Joanna Nichols Performing Artist in Residence Maestro Richard Gill.
- Sports programs with a scoreboard for the MS Gym, Sport Specific Training, and more;
- Production equipment for the Film Studies Program;
- And more!
TAS is dedicated to recruiting, developing, and retaining engaged and innovative subject matter experts who in turn have a direct impact on exceptional student learning. Conference attendance, action research, and cutting-edge technology integration require commitment and resources. Contributions support teachers by offering meaningful professional development to keep faculty inspired and at the forefront of their field.
Gifts to Professional Excellence provided many opportunities last school year, including:
- Character Education training with Derrick and Julie Tennant and MS Visiting Author Gordon Korman;
- Math training with Yeap Ban Har and Ron Lancaster;
- Faculty attendance at the Character Education Conference in Atlanta, a journalism course, NEST and SEPT workshops, technical theater professional development, and clinical symposia;
- Teachers College Reading and Writing Project representatives worked with lower school faculty;
- Lower school faculty attended the coaching institute at Teachers College in New York, the 15th Annual Chinese Articulation Workshop in Singapore, a math conference, the Learning 2.0 Technology Conference, and the Learning and Brain Conference;
- And more!
Gifts to Building Excellence support the development of campus facilities, which enhances programs KA through Grade 12. Gifts to Building Excellence are currently designated for the construction of Tech Cube.
Gifts to Building Excellence last school year made possible:
- The continued renovation of the Guy Lott Jr. Auditorium;
- A state-of-the-art, Synergy Turf putting green and driving cages;
- A lower school basketball court and field dome.
Over the years, Building Excellence has built or enhanced the campus facilities in many ways. With gifts to Building Excellence Part 1: Facilities Development Project, new facilities were built such as the Upper School Science and Technology Building, the Liu Lim Arts Center, and a new gym. Contributions to the Annual Fund for the Building Excellence Part 2 initiative were designated for the Health and Wellness Center and for bleachers for the new gym.
Your gift to Endowment helps assure long-term financial stability for the school. It ensures that future generations of TAS students enjoy excellence in education. It also serves as an emergency reserve. Twenty percent of all Annual Giving Program gifts made toward Building Excellence, Program Excellence, or Professional Excellence will be designated to Endowment.
Hope N.F. Phillips Scholarship Fund
Taipei American School established the Hope N. F. Phillips Scholarship Fund to provide partial scholarships to families experiencing financial difficulties. This scholarship fund allows students who would otherwise have to leave the school because of financial hardship to continue their education at TAS. The ultimate goal of this fund is to build an income-producing endowment that will support students at TAS for generations to come. Learn more about the Hope N.F. Phillips Scholarship Fund.