The lower school visual arts program is designed to develop the aesthetic sensitivity, creative potential, and self-esteem present within every child.
|The newly revised art curriculum lays the foundational skills for students to understand, produce, and critique art at a developmentally appropriate level. The program is carefully sequenced with each year building on the previous year’s skill development and knowledge. At each grade level, the foundational skills of color mixing, principles of design, basic drawing skills, and art critique are taught and built upon. These basic art and design skills give students the tools, experience, and confidence to develop and present their creative ideas. Painting and drawing, ceramics, printmaking, and a variety of other media are explored throughout the year.
|Students have time to plan, research, invent, discuss, study, and absorb ideas that provide a rich resource for personal expression. Of all the variables that influence high achievement, this is our most critical.
|Basic Skills in Color and Design Unit
- Find, label, and use art vocabulary (including elements of art: texture, line, space, color, and form) as well as principles of design (including symmetry/asymmetry, harmony, dominance, contrast and repetition, moods, and meanings of marks).
- Explore various brushes to invent a variety of marks and effects.
- Mix color families.
- Make a color wheel.
- Create a variety of hand painted papers.
- Create cut, torn, and formed paper effects.
- Mix colors with paint chips.
- Use color theory.
- Create paper collages using hand-painted papers.
- Critique art.
|Basic Skills in Drawing and Clay Units
- Explore drawing tools (including lines, values, forms, and textures).
- Types of drawing: imagination, observation, gesture, mood, texture, and blind contour.
- Types of drawings: compositional, portrait, and figure.
- Explore different clay techniques: rolling coils, pinch pots, clay animals, slab tiles, and coil pots.
- Add texture and patterns to clay.
- Add glaze to bisque ware to add color, patterns, and design.