Art & Innovation
Mission Statement for Art + Innovation, Grades 6-8
Art + Innovation takes a fresh look at art-making by introducing new materials, new ideas, new technology, and by creating an atmosphere of wider possibilities in methods of construction, problem-solving, and team buildinghttp://tasartplusinnovation.org/
This quarter-long class is like a strategic game: students are divided up into two groups focused on 2D and 3D creations. They quickly learn how to build objects devoted to a particular viewpoint (2D or 3D). Perspective is better developed and a sense of group ownership helps collaboration happen more easily. This is also the time that students learn more about the upper school art program.Additional opportunities:
- All students are strongly encouraged to participate in art competitions. The Scholastic Art Awards are for Grades 7 and 8 only.
- We encourage students to take summer art classes and can advise as needed.
- We collaborate with the Texas Rangers restaurant nearby to show selected student artwork.
- The Art Garden is an ongoing, long-term project. Students are welcome to participate in watering and caring for plants and fish at any point in the year.
- RAD Club is a club run by Mr. Joel. It helps students learn about design using 3D modeling software and 3D printing.
- Kiva Club is run by Mr. Reyes. It is a club devoted to learning about investment and financial strategies, with an emphasis on microloans.