Preference is given to the following academic training:
- Lower School: A teaching degree with a breadth of knowledge across all subject areas and either early childhood or elementary education certification.
- Middle School: Dual majors in two middle school subject areas or a major with strong minor. Certification desirable.
- Upper School: A major with breadth and depth in subject to be taught. A post graduate degree in subject area preferred. Training in a second discipline will be highly regarded. Certification desirable.
In addition the following criteria are also considered:
- At least two years of successful full-time experience at an accredited elementary or secondary school.
- Demonstrates superior knowledge of subject area and can teach the subject at an appropriate level.
- Demonstrates a history of high expectations for academic achievement of students and motivates all children to high personal achievement.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and ability to work with a substantial number of EAL (or limited English proficiency) students in the regular classroom.
- Communicates effectively and positively as a team member as well as with parents in the community.