Reading and Writing Summer Workshop - Grade 3
Course Fee (per two-week session): NT$43,700
Schedule: Session 1: June 6 - June 17 (8:00 am - 12:00 pm)
Session 2: June 20 - July 1 (8:00 am - 12:00 pm)
This Grade 3 Summer Academy program is based on literacy units from the Teachers College Reading and Writing Program, and it is designed to provide students with opportunities to take charge of their own learning in reading and writing. Students will also be practicing their speaking and listening skills through whole class and small group work. This course will help students prepare for the Grade 3 English curriculum, where they will continue to build stamina and strategies in reading and writing fiction and nonfiction genres with increased complexity.
In the reading unit, students will focus on strengthening their comprehension skills in reading different genres. Essential skills that will be covered in reading may include:
- Deciding what information is most important to grasp and remember
- Using the text and context to determine the meaning of words
- Understanding the difference between literal and non-literal text such as metaphors and analogies
- Expressing the student’s own point of view about characters or a text
In the writing unit, students will use the writing process across a variety of short- and longer-term writing projects. Essential skills that will be covered in writing may include:
- Organizing writing pieces into a clear beginning, middle, and end
- Using transition words to connect various parts of their pieces and to conclude
- Considering word choice in light of the audience or genre
- Editing for conventional uses of grammar and spelling
Session 1 and Session 2 of this course will explore different themes and topics, therefore students who enroll in both sessions will not be repeating the "same" course.