Annual Giving Program Initiatives
Taipei American School relies on gifts to the Annual Giving Program to fund initiatives for our students that would otherwise not be possible. Your gift can be designated toward one or a combination of five different initiatives. The initiatives are Program Excellence, Professional Excellence, Building Excellence, Endowment, and the Hope N.F. Phillips Scholarship Fund.
Gifts to Program Excellence are reflected in the achievements of our students, the development of programs, and the expansion of unique learning opportunities schoolwide. You can see excellence in action through programs everywhere on campus – in the classrooms, laboratories, performance spaces, and sports facilities. Your support enables us to capitalize on the excellent education we offer and to carry the school to even greater heights. Last school year, gifts to Program Excellence supported:
- Robotics sponsorships for middle and upper school robotics teams as they traveled to Kentucky for the VEX Robotics World Championship team trip
- The Fine and Performing Arts Programs with a new electric and gas hybrid kiln, laser cutter, and mobile sound recording and production equipment
- Joanna Nichols Visiting Scholar Dr. Jacob Soll, Professor of History and Accounting at the University of Southern California, and Joanna Nichols Performing Artist in Residence Maestro Richard Gill
- Annabelle Ko Classics Scholar in Residence Dr. Dan-el Padilla Peralta, a professor of classics at Princeton
- Support for expanding student interest in science, scientific research, and A.I. through purchases of a high speed research camera, high speed centrifuge machine, autoclave machine, shaking incubator machine, rotary evaporator machine, and an additional 3D printer
- Athletics timers and race clocks for track and field teams along with expert athletic trainers
- New Film Studies cameras and equipment
- The first-ever TAS-hosted Wellness Convention
- And more!
TAS is dedicated to recruiting, developing, and retaining engaged and innovative subject matter experts who in turn have a direct impact on exceptional student learning. Conference attendance, action research, and cutting-edge technology integration require commitment and resources. Contributions support teachers by offering meaningful professional development to keep faculty inspired and at the forefront of their field.
Gifts to Professional Excellence provided two important opportunities last school year:
- The Joanna Nichols Professional Award recipients – two from each division for a total of six winners – utilized the funds from this award to travel and participate in a variety of studies and workshops
- Faculty member Jaami Franklin traveled to St. Louis for the First Robotics World Championship in April to film TAS students
Gifts to Building Excellence support the development of campus facilities, which enhances programs for KA through Grade 12. Gifts to Building Excellence made construction of the Tech Cube possible, our a state-of-the-art facility dedicated to KA-12 STEAM education which will help establish Taipei American School as the premier center for K-12 STEAM excellence in all of Asia. Annual giving also provided funds to renovate the West Campus building into a new ACT and SAT Testing Center.
Gifts to Building Excellence will make possible the installation of a new lower school playground for the 2019-2020 school year.
Over the years, Building Excellence has built or enhanced the campus facilities in many ways. With gifts to Building Excellence Part 1: Facilities Development Project, new facilities were built such as the Upper School Science and Technology Building, the Liu Lim Arts Center, and a new gym. Contributions to the Annual Fund for the Building Excellence Part 2 initiative were designated for the Health and Wellness Center and for bleachers for the new gym. Other recent projects include the continued renovation of the Guy Lott Jr. Auditorium; a state-of-the-art, Synergy Turf putting green and driving cages; and, a lower school basketball court and field dome.
Your gift to Endowment helps assure long-term financial stability for the school. It ensures that future generations of TAS students enjoy excellence in education. It also serves as an emergency reserve. Twenty percent of all Annual Giving Program gifts made toward Building Excellence, Program Excellence, or Professional Excellence will be designated to Endowment.
Hope N.F. Phillips Scholarship Fund
Taipei American School established the Hope N. F. Phillips Scholarship Fund to provide partial scholarships – temporary tuition support – to families experiencing financial difficulties. This scholarship fund allows students who would otherwise have to leave the school because of financial hardship to continue their education at TAS.
The scholarship deservingly bears the name of Hope N.F. Phillips, former teacher, principal, board member, and alumni ambassador-at-large. This scholarship had been her dream for many years. It bears the name of one who has greatly enriched the history of the school, and it ensures that capable and valued students are able to continue their education at Taipei American School.
The ultimate goal of this fund is to build an income-producing endowment that will support students at TAS for generations to come. Learn more about the Hope N.F. Phillips Scholarship Fund.